On 31 Mar 2006, at 6:40 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:

When teaching my "pre-theory" class I have done a weekly project
where students bring in a recording of a piece of music they
particularly like. They have to talk about the piece before it's
played, describing what's going on musically, then we listen, then
the rest of the class talks about it i musical terms.

Two main things have surprised me:

1. they ignore lyrics

Ah, but they're music majors, right? Classically trained musicians (including singers) are *terrible* about listening to lyrics. I include myself in this category, as I've only started paying attention to lyrics within the past 3-4 years, and even then, they are rarely the first thing that grabs my attention.

Non-musicians who are serious about music, however (what Bill Evans called "the sensitive layman") listen *primarily* to lyrics -- at least, in my experience. My girlfriend, for instance, will not listen to a song unless the lyrics grab her. It's only after several listens that she starts to pay attention to the music at all.

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://secretsociety.typepad.com