I've always wondered how the 3rd mvt of the Shostakovitch 5th, which has three vln parts, is printed, but I never think to run over and look at the violin parts when I've been in an orchestra that has played it (which has been about ten times!). I have observed that it is often played with the third section carved out of the back half of the first and seconds. If that is the case, only the first and third parts would be needed in the first violin part, and the second and third parts in the second part. Either that, or there is a separate third violin part. I will try to remember to ask at rehearsal tomorrow.

This would be the best precedent I can think of..

Raymond Horton
Bass Trombonist,
Louisville Orchestra