hello Mark,

Thanks for addressing the argument, instead of smart alec comments like a few
others.

I too enjoy assonance. I happen to feel that a lot of the rhymes in rap are not assonance, but merely "close enough". One time there is a perfect rhymne, another time you dignify it with the term "assonance". To put it simply, it's like the composer who fully intends the consecutive fifths and the third-rater who just happens to write that way.

... I love assonance. One of the reasons I have such affection for today's rap is that it has made the way for creative use of assonance, so long neglected as a result of formal rules of rhyme which you so Beckmesserishly allude to.

Yes, Meistersinger is a great comic opera.  I understand your "dig" at me.

More generally, what I love about rap is how it explores the beauty of the spoken language, in a way that one can't achieve with poetry or music alone.

Frankly, I have difficulty understanding what they are trying to say. They don't enunciate. And, it all seems to me to be aimed at the lowest common denominator. Just as one list member recalled of the Pop Idol reality show: you've had musical training - we don't want your talent. I make no apologies: I am not generally a fan of pop music. Sorry.

The rhythms are complex because there is no discipline. It is a case of fitting any word and words desired into 4/4 time. It's a long way down from Shakespeare or Swinburne.

But that's exactly the art. A good performance is about fitting and coloring the syllables with just the right rhythm to best bring out the beatiful patterns of sounds that don't come through with simple tetrametric delivery. (And I might add that a great many Shakespearean actors could learn a lot from quality rap.)

Twenty-some years ago it was said that many "classical" performers could learn how to perform Bach from the The Swingle Singers. I think we have got beyond that. An actor might learn something from a rapper, but I think study of the libretto of a play would teach more.

Funny how your attempt to denigrate rap reminds me of exactly what it is I like so much about it.

I am happy that you and others enjoy it. I have musical interests that some would probably scoff at. Taste is hard to argue about. I admit it: I don't like rap. I don't understand it.
It is irritating to me. I prefer real music. So there we are back at what is
music.
<elbow in ribs>

-rob

mdl