On Apr 4, 2006, at 5:17 AM, Robert C L Watson wrote:

More generally, what I love about rap is how it explores the beauty of the spoken language, in a way that one can't achieve with poetry or music alone.

Frankly, I have difficulty understanding what they are trying to say.

That might be a dialect issue. I have trouble understanding lots of English dialects, including Scots and Eastern Canadian. But that is completely separate from whether rap is music, or art, or good, or whether we like it or not.

They don't enunciate.

Neither do opera singers. Not in the way that people speaking the same words would do. Nor do pop singers, or jazz singers. Again, it is beside the point.

And, it all seems to me to be aimed at the lowest common denominator.

That would make it no different from most pop music, if that were true. There is good rap and bad rap, along with rap that panders and rap that attempts to make a social statement. But still, that doesn't define it as music or not.

I admit it: I don't like rap. I don't understand it.
It is irritating to me.

And I admit I don't like Mozart particularly. I think I DO understand it (after years of studying it school, performing it and having it shoved down my throat in every second concert I attend I had better have an understanding of it) but once again, that is beside the point of whether music that one doesn't like, doesn't understand, or has no reference for is still music.

 I prefer real music.

Hmm. So do I, though not exclusively. Mozart is not "real" music to me, though I still admit it is music. Why can't you do the same for rap?

Christopher