On Apr 7, 2006, at 3:52 PM, Christopher Smith wrote:

On Apr 7, 2006, at 1:25 PM, Phil Daley wrote:

If there are no notated pitches, it is not music.

It is performance art.

Thanks for making my point.

Phil, where in the world did you get such a narrow definition of music? I don't know ANYONE who defines music so narrowly.

This, to me, is the key point. Individuals don't get to change the meaning of common words by fiat, like Humpty Dumpty in _Alice in Wonderland_. Words mean what they do by concensus of those who use the language in which the word occurs. Phil's definition of "music" has no concensus behind it even as *a* meaning of music, much less *the* meaning. If I say that "music" means "tree," that will not make it mean "tree" *even to me* no matter how often or how emphatically I say otherwise.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://home.netcom.com/~kallisti/