Johannes Gebauer wrote:
Dennis,

[snip]>
I think you are actually making this a little too simple. It almost sounds (and I know you don't intend it to sound like this) as though you want to say, "everyone goes to the cinema to watch the newest film, but noone listens to my music", to which one would have to reply, unfortunately, because obviously you don't compose music which the general public finds attractive enough. From a commercial point of view your music is simply a complete failure.

I didn't get that point from Dennis's post at all -- his point was that cinema houses don't SHOW the old movies, so the audience has no choice but to watch the newest movies. It's not that they have any choice, if they want to see movies on the big screen in the ambience of a movie theater. Nobody SHOWS old movies, yet nobody PLAYS new music, so while the cinema-going audience has no choice about watching old movies, so, too, the concert-going audience has no choice about listening to contemporary music.

Unfortunately we have to accept that contemporary art-music of the kind which you are involved in has a very small audience. Even though as an

Simply because contemporary art-music has a very small group of performers willing to perform it.

[snip of very valid points.]

--
David H. Bailey