Eric Dannewitz wrote:
But WHY do you want or NEED to run 6 year old software on a modern computer??

I just don't get the mentality of people who want to run old software on new hardware. Did bitch and moan when your 8 track tapes couldn't be played anymore? Or when those LPs couldn't be played in your CD player?

I think that if you buy a program, and use it, and then buy new hardware, you'd want to update all your programs to take advantage of the new hardware.

I'm not jumping into this hornets' nest on either side, and I hope it doesn't get to the level of someone being called Hitler, but just to keep things in perspective, in response to Eric's statement I would like to point out that "want to update" and "be able financially to update" or "be able to update since the company has released a newer version" are very different things, and that I may buy a new computer to be able to one thing better but that doesn't mean I can spend $500-$1000 upgrading all my software which I only use occasionally or which does what I need it to perfectly well even on the new machine.

Backwards compatibility, whether on macs or pcs, is a very good thing and people shouldn't be put down for wanting to use 6-year old software on a 1-week old machine. Developers do go out of business (didn't we have a whole dustup on this list a few years ago about the potential for us to all be using tethered software and have MakeMusic go out of business without leaving an escrow key for us to unlock our licensed software on new computers?) and sometimes it's impossible to buy new versions of old programs (mac or pc).

To the best of my knowledge, all/most of the 8-track recordings were released on cassettes and/or LPs and many have been released on CDs. But there are still new turntables being sold so that people can listen to their LPs which haven't been released on CDs. The poor chumps who sunk money into 8-tracks are dead in the water once their 8-track machines don't work anymore, if what they want to listen to has only been released on 8-tracks.

Software is a bit different, though. Once a company's gone, if the assets aren't bought at auction, the application's gone, and if new hardware won't run it, anybody who is dependent on it is in deep doo-doo.

So sometimes it's an economic thing, not upgrading to all new software when one buys a new computer, and other times it's simply a "we're out of business and you lose because there ain't gonna be no new version" thing.

In either event, people should be able to expect backwards compatibility within the same OS 'bloodline.'

In my opinion.  Mac or PC.
--
David H. Bailey