Hey, I hear you, man!

I am dealing with your exact situation right now, and I have used a number of workarounds, including the alternate numbering system you describe.

In one case, I wrote a double staff part for the repeated section, indicating to play the top staff 1st time and the bottom staff 2nd time, just like those old Johnny Warrington stock arrangements. I wouldn't recommend this, though.

Christopher