Thanks, Don.

One of my jobs is to play in a large church orchestra. We have, in fact, played quite a few of your fine arrangements.

As I'm sure you know, it is common in church music for orchestral parts not to have the same rehearsal numbers or same repeat layout as the choral part which can create serious rehearsal problems. This is, I suppose, because of the practice of farming out orchestral arrangements to others but I don't think that excuses carelessness. As an orchestral musician, I thank you for your diligence.

Richard Smith
www.rgsmithmusic.com

Don Hart wrote:
There is a situation where I've felt compelled to use a repeat in spite of
the circumstances you mention.  It's when I've been hired to orchestrate and
record a choral piece that is already in print or well on its way.  For the
sake of future live performances (the publisher offers the score and parts)
I try to keep the orchestration road map the same as that of the
octavo/book, even though I would write things out any other time.

Sometimes things need to be so drastically different that I will write out a
section twice and number, e.g. 33a-40a for the repeat of 33-40.  A couple of
jobs for a particular composer of children's musicals stick out in my mind.

Don Hart

on 5/28/06 3:20 PM, Christopher Smith at [EMAIL PROTECTED]