Kim Patrick Clow wrote:
David Fention writes:
"Hogwood has replaced one categorical tradition with another one."
No, not really. I think Christopher Hogwood just believes in observing da capo marks that's in the music. What you see is what you get. No more, no less. At least you can say he's taking the music at it's face value. Since the repeat symbols are there are in the scores, the onus is you to show that they were meant to be ignored. Neal Zaslaw (who edited the new Kochel catalogue), also has stated there is no such evidence. As have other researchers.
I can't imagine why they would lie about such a matter.
All the other ancillary issues about what was added by Hogwood/Zaslaw, or what version of the NMA was used, or what you found in your sources doesn't matter to me because I'm speaking of the instances where there are no questions about the da capo markings that are written into the scores or parts.

How about the "wrong notes" which were written into the scores or parts? Are they to be slavishly followed, too?

--
David H. Bailey