On Jun 17, 2006, at 11:44 AM, Chuck Israels wrote:

On Jun 16, 2006, at 5:12 PM, Christopher Smith wrote:

I see it quite a bit in the shows I have done or checked out. Kiss of the Spider Woman, the Producers, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, all use violin/viola doublers. I think they really try to squeeze as many different colours out of the few players they have as is humanly possible, and make a nice taste for the guys who are making doubling money.

IMO -and experience, this is a compelling reason. Better musicians can be kept in mind numbing pit jobs if they are being paid for a lot of doubles.

Good point.

Another thing I see quite a bit - the single passage (or two, or three) in each musician's book that is an absolute bear to play. This is the detail that caused my brother to characterise pit gigs as "two hours of sheer boredom, interspersed with thirty seconds of sheer terror."

I think Bdway orchestrators put these passages in to keep the musicians practicing. It is an easy way for the musical director to tell if the player is in shape or not.

The worst of these I saw (in my book) was in Company. There is a solo trombone obbligato in solotone mute that sits up around C, and hits high E (a 10th above middle C) with lots of large leaps to start off "Side By Side By Side". I am both proud and ashamed to say that I nailed it night after night for about twenty shows - except for one night when I crashed and burned so spectacularly that the other musicians (professionals, all) had trouble keeping from dissolving into giggles for the rest of the tune. Thanks, guys! 8-(

Christopher