Sorry, I meant to say that the change over to tenor was more or less complete by the time we get to Tchaik or so. He certainly was writing for two tenor trombones, and a bunch of the French composers even before him were writing for three tenors. As you implied, it was a fashion change that came about slowly, and sooner in some parts than in others.

And yes, you are right that most of the old parts were played on tenor trombone for most of the 20th century, with alto trombone making somewhat of a comeback for the older repertoire recently. Even twenty years ago, when I started, Brahms was mostly being played on tenor trombone on the first parts, whereas most of the major orchestras use alto now.

And that is GREAT that you are writing modern works for alto trombone!

Thank you for the clarification. As I said, I am not really an expert on the literature - I just hear the guys I play with talking about it, and see the parts.

Christopher