Robert Patterson wrote:

I think this all is part of the homogification of trombone sound. My preference is a brighter trombone sound easily distingushable from a french horn or euphonium, but (at least a few years ago) all the trombonists seemed to be striving for the same darkness as those other instruments. In that world, large bores and large mouthpieces are the order of the day, and the difference between tenor and bass is completely blurred.

But it was not always thus, and the re-emergence of the alto trombone I hope may signal a re-emergence of differentiated trombone sounds in general as an ideal. Yin/yang.

In my personal case, my bass trombone part calls for sustained, exposed pedal F's at ppp dynamic. While this note is technically equally possible on the tenor/bass instrument the 2nd player is playing, only the bass trombone player is living his life for the chance to play this note. The difference between the bass and the tenor trombone is as much attitude as it is axe.

Homogification??  That's a new one.  :)

We are also talking about orchestral work here.

In the jazz world (where I do the vast majority of my work) the trend is not as strongly toward big horns - a 'symhony standard tenor' has a .547 bore, but a lot of jazz players juse that with a .564 trigger attachment for bass 'bone work in big bands any more, and a .500 bore is standard for lead and 2nd 'bone parts. I play 3rd 'bone in a couple of bands and use a .525 bore horn with a trigger, but the Bach 16M and King 3b (bores ranging from .500 to .509) are almost the default setting for jazz lead. And I use a King 2b Liberty (dual .581/.591 bore) for jazz leads and a lot of small combo work to blend with (usually) 1 sax or a sax and trumpet - the bigger horns would not blend well at all, and the .547 would not be nimble enough to solo on.

Homogenization is mostly a theoretical pursuit - orchestras go in one direction, jazz players go another, and the studio cats do whatever they want (if you want to see a wide variety of horns, go to a commercial scoring session some time!)

cd
--
http://www.livejournal.com/users/dershem/#