Robert Patterson wrote:

I don't know of much RECENT music written for alto-tenor-bass orchestra sections, though that was overwhelmingly the case from Haydn up to Tchakovsky or so.

Are you sure Tchaik wanted alto trombone? Generally, my impression is that alto
trombone went out of fashion towards the end of the 19th cent. (replaced by a
tenor). It seems to be only recently that alto trombone is re-emerging in
mainstream professional orchestras. Before that, even alto parts were usually
played on tenors.

Personally, I like alto trombone very much. My latest orch. piece used
alto/ten/bass rather than the (now) more standard tenor 1/2, bass. Fortunately
the player has and enjoys playing an alto trombone. After hearing it, I will
probably rescore a few passages for tenor, though. Alto trombone can't achieve
the dark tenor sound, which is great unless you want the dark tenor sound.

Getting an alto to get a good trombone sound is difficult, but possible. But you have to find just the right horn, and the right mouthpiece to use with it.

cd
--
http://www.livejournal.com/users/dershem/#