On 26 Jun 2006 at 22:57, Owain Sutton wrote:

> [...]

That the change in musical style was precipitated by the type, rather
than that the type was created because of the changes in musical
style. My understanding of the history of this is that the change in
musical style came first and drove the notational simplifications
that are exhibited in the earliest musical type.

Keep in mind also that not all of the earliest musical type lacked
ligatures (I can't see that coloration was ever dropped, as it
continued to be used into the early 18th century, though in much more
limited circumstances than previously).