At 8:05 PM +0100 6/28/06, Owain Sutton wrote:

 A page of Mouton's _Messe d'Allemaigne_, as printed by Attaignant and
 reproduced in  _Pierre Attaignant: Royal Printer of Music_ by Daniel
 Heartz, displays  several 3-note ligatures, in a variety of forms.

Would these be formed simply by placing the type for individual notes
alongside one another, rather than having specific ligature type?
Petrucci certainly had the latter, but only for a limited number of
two-note ligatures.

It would depend on the ligature. Certainly one with a backwards-turned final note above the preceding note (yeah, I know there's a specific name for that, but I'm too lazy to go look it up) could not be constructed with a separate piece of type, quite apart from needing a variety of stem lengths to cover all situations. But I would imagine that some compound ligatures would have been feasible.

John

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music