The arms race is true in orchestras, but can be much more true in live pop and jazz. .. About ten or 12 years ago, the Tempataions did a pair of outdoor concerts with us. They had synths doubling all the orchestra parts at ffff, and sound guys would come back and tell us that we couldn't be heard, so we needed to jam the mics in our bells and play as loud as possible. The volume was deafening on stage. .. One song (I think it might have been "Ain't Too Proud To Beg", but I'm not sure) has a break in the middle with a trombone unison sixth position C. It was pencilled in to double it down an octave, and marked with as many f's as could fit on the page. We played the octaves as loud as humanly possible, but, again, they were doubling everything with hugely amplified keyboards (I take that as a sign that they have played with orchestras they don't trust to come in, or that they play the show without brass and don't want to mess with playing any differently with or without - but can't they adjust their own _volume_ when they have an orchestra so that the orchestra can be heard?) .. After the second show, I left to drive overnight up to Cleveland for the trombone workshop. On the way up , I heard the original recording of the above mentioned song on the radio. My jaw dropped open - it sounded like chamber music by comparison - and the trombone Cs were unison only, very small bore, and light. The recording sounded like about 12 instruments, tops. (And no synths, of course.)
..
Raymond Horton
Bass Trombonist,
Louisville Orchestra
___

Chuck Israels wrote:

Hi Jim et al,

This issue doesn't come up at my school, where most of the students lack a concept of basic breathing and support. My reference has been professional circumstances.

Three brief anecdotes:

Many years ago, I kept my friend Dave Taylor company while he auditioned for the bass trombone spot in the BSO (it took place at Tanglewood, and I was spending the summer there). Dave was one of the three biggest sounding players, but the loudest guy (Halliburton, I think was his name) got the job. To my ears, other differences were minimal. All of the top applicants were phenomenal.

We used to have an LP (since disappeared) of Sousa music here in the school music library that was a revelation to me. It was made by musicians in Sousa's family, his children, I believe, and it sounded much clearer and more lightly orchestrated (fewer instruments on each part), and more lightly played, than anything I'd been used to hearing - almost what we think of as Mozartean in effect. It made me appreciate the music in new ways.

I played on a recording date in 1963 with JJ Johnson - arrangements written by JJ for himself, 4 other trombones (Urbie Green and Lou McGarity, on tenors, Tommy Mitchell and Paul Faulise on bass trombones, and a rhythm section that included Hank Jones and Walter Perkins, now available on Verve CD V6-8530). The arrangements and players were wonderful. The close miked recording sounds quite good to me now, and the effect is somewhat louder than I remember the sound in the room, but the impact and feeling of immersion in the glory of the vibrating air in the studio, even if not quite as loud as the recording can be played, was orders of magnitude more beautiful, and it took my breath away. Maybe some of that can be put through microphones, recordings, and loudspeakers, but there is something about the sound in the room, un-amplified and un-interfered with, that doesn't survive the process.

Chuck