At 11:44 AM 7/21/06 -0400, John Howell wrote:
>I think Dennis mean copying from the original, not a facsimile of the
original.

No, copying content from the 'facsimile' is what I meant. Copyright
subsists in the photograph itself, which is not truly a facsimile...

>Why
>exactly are their copies of the original, whether photographs,
>scans, or whatever, copyrightable when there is exactly zero
>added intellectual content?

Photographs and scans are different to some degree, but let's stick to
photos. The US copyright law protects the fixing into a medium, even if it
is a photo of something else. This is a rabbit hole, where a photo of a
photo is protected, too. (Just look at the enormous number of permissions
required and credits given in a typical feature film these days.)

>Is this one of the differences between European copyright law
>--under which I understand that page layout can be copyrighted
>--and U.S. law, which has never recognized such a copyright?

But we have design patents. (I really don't know about patents or European
copyright law, so scratch that as a meaningful comment.)

My reading of US law goes back a long way, but as an amateur informed by
lots of (too much) reading. My first real run-in was interviewing Bill
Gates about (the not yet available) software copyright for an article back
in 1980. From then on, I've kept a close eye on developments and tried to
make sense of the letter of the US law as well.

If I photograph a page of a public domain document, have I created a
separate work of art? What if I photograph two pages in one frame? Several
in an arrangement? Several pages in separate frames? What about my
contribution of lighting and depth of field to illuminate a fuzzy text? At
one point does it go from a simple copy to a separate work of art
containing other art? What about the roll of microfilm or the facsimile
book? What contribution was made to the work as a whole that makes it
eligible for protection?

Because the sections of the law I quoted earlier are flexible, it's not an
easy call. In the frenzied protect-everything environment, either
objection-by-action or caution-by-inaction is in order. For the impecunious
among us, caution is the likely choice. :)

Dennis

--

Please participate in my latest project:
http://maltedmedia.com/waam/