dhbailey wrote:

That reminds me of the scene in the Marx Brothers' Duck Soup, where Groucho is the new head of state and at a cabinet meeting someone raises the issue of taxes.

Secretary: We must discuss the taxes.
Groucho: I'm sorry, that's new business, we're discussing old business right now. Any more old business to discuss? Okay, let's discuss new business.
Secretary: We have to discuss the taxes!
Groucho: I'm sorry, that's old business now, we can't discuss that, we're discussing new business now.

MakeMusic introduces a new feature which isn't quite as right as it could be. Next year, it's an old feature and we know they aren't great at improving old features, preferring to pack in new features.
Five years/versions later, that once-new feature hasn't been improved.

Now that's true with some things, but definitely not true with others, so it isn't quite a fair depiction of things.

But it certainly does seem accurate some times, even with major features which aren't licensed from others.

Agreed 100%. At times I am bewildered by the good folks at Makemusic when they introduce half-baked functions which, as you point out, are not subsequently improved.

A case in point: the Space Systems Evenly function. There was an outstanding model for how this should work through Jari's plugin, including both the capacity to leave extra space at the top and bottom of the page, as well as including current distances in the calculations. But what we were given is nothing but the bare bones, rendering it almost useless for anything more than the most rudimentary of requirements. It has not been improved since to the best of my knowledge.

To be fair though, the selection tool has improved over the years, as have a few other items. As well they should.

I sincerely hope that parts-score linking doesn't stagnate.

Matthew