On 16 Aug 2006, at 2:49 PM, John Howell wrote:

In the case of parts, you are changing the tablature by using enharmonic equivalents and giving it precedence over proper chord spelling. In the case of the score, the conductor needs to be able to read the chords, which should be spelled properly.

For transposed scores, I disagree. The conductor should normally have the same spelling as the players. If you make readability adjustments to the enharmonics in the part, those should be included in the score as well. The last thing anyone wants is to squander rehearsal time over "In measure 111, I have a G# -- is that correct?" "No, it should be an Ab."

On the other hand, there's very little advantage to spelling chords "properly" in the score if you've already decided to sacrifice harmonic "correctness" for linear readability. The conductor will just have to deal with it.

Cheers,

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]