Hiro,

I just call these things "form."

Chuck

On Sep 12, 2006, at 8:49 AM, A-NO-NE Music wrote:

Once again, against my policy, I am asking an OT question because this
list is truly resourceful :-)

Basically I have to find the musical term in English for what I am about to explain bellow. In Japanese, it is called "Ki-Shou-Ten-Ketsu", which
is somewhat similar to "Intro-Dev-Climax-Conclusion".

In music, I was taught it is what is divided in four regions called
harmonic rhythm, which is a wrong term according to my net search. What
is the correct terminology for this?

In 4/4, the strength of the beat is 1-3-2-4 to flow.  The same will
apply to a form, i.e., 8 bars phrase will be divided into 2 bars each,
and the same 1-3-2-4 priority applies.  The 32 bars form tune of AABA
form gets the same 1-3-2-4 priority divided in 8 bars each. The 32 bars
form tune of ABAC form gets into 16 bars each, and the 16 bar will
divided into 4 bars each for 1-3-2-4 priority. When you analyze a tune
with odd phrasing such as Falling Grace, you say this composition is
unique because it shifts the "harmonic rhythm (now I want to know the
correct terminology for this)".

For long years, I believed this is called harmonic rhythm, but quick
googling denis it.  I'd appreciate if anyone know the correct
terminology for this.

--

- Hiro

Hiroaki Honshuku, A-NO-NE Music, Boston, MA
<http://a-no-ne.com> <http://anonemusic.com>

Chuck Israels
230 North Garden Terrace
Bellingham, WA 98225-5836