> On 04 Oct 2006, at 3:39 PM, Chuck Israels wrote:
>
>>> The MM guys I see every year at the Jazz Educator's Convention use
>>> Simple entry with a MIDI Keyboard, and that allows articulations and
>>> dynamics to be entered on the same pass with the same tool. They
>>> claim something like 40% increase in entry speed, and I have no
>>> reason to doubt them, but something in me resists re-learning my
>>> entry methods. Anyone else out there migrated from Speedy to Simple
>>> since this change? Have you found the changed method worth the
>>> trouble of learning it?

And in fact the MM guys at the conventions say that the way they want you to use Finale now is via Simple Entry. They consider Speedy Entry to be a bit "old fashioned".

If I may be permitted to address the list without being thought a "lurker" only here to "recruit" for Sibelius (as was charged yesterday), I think I have some pertinent comments on this thread and will minimize Sibelius references as much as possible.

When I first began to use Sib, I was a long time Finale user and, like almost everyone at the time, used Speedy Entry exclusively and (almost) always with a MIDI keyboard. At first I missed both Speedy Entry and scroll view. Then I found (with practice) how much faster I could work the Sib tools which are very like Simple Entry.

I was very glad to see Simple Entry revamped in Fin04 and (although I am more comfortable in Sib) use it almost always. I frequently work on a laptop and almost always without a MIDI. I do tend to work in two passes (but not always) but that doesn't slow me down at all.

While old, hard won and well practiced skills are hard to let go of, it's worth noting that Finale is now designed (according to MM reps) to be used primarily in Simple Entry.

Richard Smith