On 4 Oct 2006 at 13:45, Chuck Israels wrote:

> On Oct 4, 2006, at 1:23 PM, dhbailey wrote:
>
> > Darcy James Argue wrote:

> >> You don't have to. Articulations and expressions are entered via
> >> keyboard shortcuts which reference your own metatools. You would
> >> only have to touch the mouse if the articulation or expression you
> >> want is not assigned to a metatool.
> >
> > How do you tell Finale which notes to apply the metatool to if
> > you're not using the mouse?
>
> I don't know exactly how it's done, but there are keyboard triggers
> for going to articulations and dynamics and, since you do it on the
> note you are on as you enter it, there's no need for using the  mouse.
>  This is all in the documentation, and I have watched the MM  guys do
> it.  No kidding, it's fast.  The only thing that keeps me  from
> changing my method is old work habits and dreading a new  learning
> curve.  (No small dread, irrational as that may be.)  This  has been
> around for the last two years, at least.

I tried it out in the Finale 2005 demo. It feels a lot like
Sibelius's standard keypad entry method.

And that means I HATE IT. I don't think that way about getting the
information into Finale, and that's one of the reasons I can't use
Sibelius.

It slows me down incredibly to think through which things I want to
attach to a note after it's been entered (or before, if you can
forecast that).

For me (and I said FOR ME), a pass to get notes and rhythms entered
is VERY FAST, and then I can go back and entered the
articulations/expressions, set beam breaks, stem direction and
correct enharmonics. I do all of the latter in a single pass, in
fact.

And that's the way I did it in Speedy with no MIDI keyboard. I just
don't think in a way that allows me to be constantly switching
between so many different kinds of entry. The notes and rhythms come
first as a framework for the whole piece, and then the rest of the
data is editing or entirely cosmetic.

Perhaps I'm stuck in that mindset because I've been doing it that way
for over 15 years.