Whether or you consider the sax a part of the orchestra or not, I have yet to hear a sampled sax sound that couldn't totally destroy all of the other instruments. In my concert band scores, usually replace the sax sounds with clarinet so I can preserve some balance. I would love a sampled classical sax sound instead of the aggressive pop/jazz sound which is all I have been able to find.

On the other hand, if I wrote for jazz bands, I would probably like what's available.

Richard Smith
www.rgsmithmusic.com

Eric Dannewitz wrote:
Then go edit Wikipedia. However, I doubt they will take your edit. You just said "standard additional instrument". It's not a standard instrument, but an additional instrument. Get it? Ok, really slow now.....Standard.......ADDITIONAL........instrument.

So, yeah, they will ADD a saxophonist or two if needed, but they are not part of the core/traditional/standard orchestra.

So, like, if I go to the San Francisco Orchestra page......
http://www.sfsymphony.org/templates/orchmain.asp?nodeid=65
They don't have a saxophonist listed, though I'm sure they will hire some if needed.