This dialog serves to remind me of an experience I had in my first year of teaching ... ca. 1966. Our high school had a very fine advanced band called a Wind Ensemble, which, in fact, had a minimum number of players per part, in general. Then there was a less advanced "Concert Band," with everyone else. In those days, the Wind Ensemble concept was very popular and was synonymous with higher quality wind performances. Well, our Wind Ensemble was picked to play at the State MENC Conference that spring, so I wrote something for it and went to listen, still thinking that Wind Ensembles were at the top of the food chain. This perception remained in tact until I walked into a rehearsal of Clarence Sawhill's (either USC or UCLA ... someone correct me) Symphonic Band. It featured MANY players per part, and I swear the clarinet section(s) sounded just like the string section of a major symphony orchestra. It's a sound which is still in my mind. We live and learn.

Dean