David W. Fenton wrote:
On 7 Oct 2006 at 13:40, Richard Smith wrote:

Some really good music by some respected composers is being written
for wind ensemble and many composition students are being advised that
the best way to hear one's music performed is to write for band, not
orchestra.

Are we talking about bands or wind ensemble?
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought there was a difference.

There is a difference -- and there are far more bands (school, college, community, professional and military) than there are wind ensembles (some collegiate and professional with a few amateur wind ensembles).

--
David H. Bailey