Chuck Israels wrote:
Interesting that celeste is not listed, yet that's what I always hear in Magic Flute performances and recordings. Seems OK to my ears.

Chuck
No, it's not a celeste, which has softer bars, a damper, and a prominent resonator-generated _Nachklang_. The keyboard glockenspiel has a brighter -- if not brasher -- tone, may use actual bells instead of bars, and has a decidedly mechanical character. You might think of the celeste as a romantic-era re-imagining of the glockenspiel, but it's not really an adequate replacement. European opera houses either own or rent a keyboard glockenspiel for performances of Zauberflöte, very much like the Cimbasso require for some Verdi.

DJW