John Howell wrote:
[snip]

And, just out of curiosity, what ever happened to the Kurzweil keyboards and their sampled libraries that were so highly touted about 10 years ago as the "perfect samples" for orchestral music, and that had some darned good demos of what could be done with their samples?

The Kurzweil products are still available, although the company has gone through some rough times from a keyboard manufacturer which bought them with an eye to gutting the company and dismantling its R&D department so as to become a stronger player in the cheap keyboard market. Kurzweil won a huge major court battle and once again is an independent company (from what I've read on the Kurzweil list).

I have the PC88mx keyboard which has wonderful samples, and a PC2r rack-mount module which has even better samples.

These are the most realistic samples I've heard in a hardwired hardware module, and to my ears are as good or better than many (most?) software samples.

--
David H. Bailey