On 07 Oct 2006, at 8:35 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:

Not at all. As I mentioned, in Garritan instruments, doubling the
player variations (i.e. Flute Player 1 and Flute Player 2) gives
authentic unisons and is not a waste of resources at all. David
doesn't use Garritan instruments so the comments he made were not
applicable to Garritan libraries.

Er, my comments are still applicable. A wind ensemble sample set
should not have the same characteristics as a band sample set,
because the doublings are not going to be the same. In a wind
ensemble you're going to double with one or two or three players on a
part. In a band you could have TEN or TWENTY. How could the same
sample set handle both of those?

Very easily -- as I said, I expect Garritan Marching and Concert Band to include many player variations for each individual instrument as well as samples of massed flutes, massed clarinets, etc.

But if you prefer to roll your own doublings, you'll notice that GPO already includes, e.g., nine different oboe variations. I would expect GMCB to include even more player variations, which can be combined into sections at will. Plus you can use the Kontakt Player's pitch and timing variability controls to build even larger sections.

Cheers,

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]