On 8 Oct 2006 at 17:18, Darcy James Argue wrote:

> On 08 Oct 2006, at 5:09 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:
>
> >> Again, this is something that is very easily done with the "VAR1"
> >> and "VAR2" commands in the Kontakt Player.
> >
> > Could you explicate that a bit, please?
>
> "VAR1" and "VAR2" are controllers in the Kontakt Player that allow
> you to control the amount of randomization given to intonation and
> timing.
>
> Nothing need be done in the Finale score at all -- these are knobs
> you tweak in the Kontakt Player.
>
> > The goal is to produce a band sonority, with massed instruments on a
> > part (say 6 each for 3 clarinet parts and the same for trumpets).
>
> You would simply load six clarinets (using as many different player
> variations as possible) into the Kontakt Player, assign them all to
> the same channel, and then tweak the VAR1 and VAR 2 knobs to your
> liking. No hidden staves are necessary.

OK. I don't understand what all that means.

Is Finale producing the output here?

Or is the Kontakt Player taking a MIDI file and you're playing it
back?

Or is the Kontakt Player a slave of Finale, and it loads when you're
using NI samples, and you make changes in it that affect Finale's
playback?

Do those changes int he Kontakt Player get saved with the Finale
file, so that you always get the same playback once you've made these
settings?

And will Finale's WAV output (or is it MP3?) capture the result from
the Kontakt Player?

Sorry to ask about something that I'd know about if I were using
Finale 2006 or later, but it's not clear to me how all of this works.