On 15 Oct 2006 at 8:31, dhbailey wrote:

> David W. Fenton wrote:
> > On 14 Oct 2006 at 6:13, dhbailey wrote:
> [snip]
> >> As more layers of management get added at the top, local control
> >> gets lost.  As overall corporate focus shifts, development dollars
> >> get moved from one department to another.  Look at Finale and
> >> Smartmusic
> >
> > Wasn't SmartMusic developed by the same team responsible for Finale?
>
> I don't know which team developed it -- it is my understanding that
> the two teams are different these days.

Yes, of course, at this point they'd like have two programming teams.

But my question was about whether or not Smartmusic was a product of
MakeMusic and Finale a product of Coda. I thought Smartmusic came
about from the Coda team, even if after the change of name to MM. Of
course, I don't actually know if that was a purchase of Coda by MM or
if Coda just changed its name after the infusion of new investment.

[]

> > And given recent discussion on this list, this would be a *bad*
> > thing? Wouldn't a sequencer with Sibelius-quality notational output
> > be a Finale killer?
>
> It would be as long as all those who use Sibelius for engraving mostly
> and playback only for proof-listening (there are many on the Sibelius
> list who are a lot like many on the Finale list who are
> engravers/arrangers/composers predominantly and not the sort of
> performers who want a sequencer program at all beyond what the
> notation program already has for midi-entry.

Well, you assume three things about the potential embedding Sibelius
in a sequencer:

1. the development of Sibelius as a standalone product would cease

2. the development of notational improvements would cease

3. the embedded version would not have all the capabilities that the
original version had.

I don't see why any of those are warranted as an a priori assumption.

> And I don't think I would like that at any rate, since the appearance
> of a Finale-killer would sicken me beyond belief -- I own Sibelius but
> I would dread the day it remains as the only major notation program
> available, since I don't like using it.

I like to be realistic. I see that Sibelius has all the mind-share
for new users because of it's supposed ease of learning/use (I
dispute both, actually, but that's not the conventional wisdom).
We're already in a precarious place with Finale and have been since
Sibelius aggressively upgraded its software in the last two versions.

I'm not sure that notation software as anything other than a niche
application could continue to exist once a sequencer got to the point
of producing Sibelius-level notation. That means niche applications
like Score and Lilypond, which can continue to exist below the radar
because they aren't really commercially viable (because they don't
have a user interface, which makes maintaining and enhancing them
much easier). The reason Finale and Sibelius can exist is because
they serve a broad number of users with different kinds of needs.
Once a sequencer can provide excellent notation, there's no longer
any need for a huge swath of potential users of notation programs to
need the standalone notation package.