I was using the term "notehead font" incorrectly -- I really meant the music font in general. For hand-engraved music I don't know how they measured such things, if they used the term "font" or not. The G. Schirmer editions I'm thinking of are some flute books, where all the notation is just way too large for the spacing they used. Smaller noteheads, stems, flags, beams, everything, if used with the same spacing would have been much easier to read. "First Solos for the Flute Player" is the one title that pops into my head, but I recall some recorder editions and other books from G. Schirmer which are the same way. And yet there are other G. Schirmer editions which are much more elegantly engraved.

David H. Bailey