On 16 Oct 2006 at 7:50, Johannes Gebauer wrote:

> On 16.10.2006 David W. Fenton wrote:
> > It would be nice, though, if some professional engraving standards
> > were somehow built into Finale so that it could tell you if you've
> > exceeded standard modern engraving density.
>
> I don't think there is such a thing. I have a Henle part here, where
> one page is extremely tightly spaced, tighter than anything I have
> ever done...

Surely you've seen the tight spacing of André's engraving, which
would be completely unacceptable in modern engraving. My bet is that
André routinely exceeded the tightness of the Henle part you're
looking at.

> I think this is another case where good engraving always needs a good
> eye, too, and a computer can only go some of the way...

But it's quite clear that there are loose standards, and the part
you're looking at violates them.

I didn't suggest that such a thing be implemented in a way that
prevents exceeding it (as Score does, if I'm not mistaken). I
suggested that Finale provide information about problems that come
from tight spacing that exceeds professional standards. This could be
part of a house style feature, were Finale to have that implemented
in a future version.

And, ideally, the user could adjust the thresholds to personal taste,
using scaling values. I'd love to have something like that, because I
routinely end up with tighter spacing onscreen than looks good when
printed, because of the nature of the difference between the two
views of the notation. If the computer could do that evaluation for
me and warn me when I exceed it, that would be a great help.