On Oct 21, 2006, at 1:06 AM, dc wrote:

I'm not so sure. One could also hold the opposite and reasoning: if you do want a tight spacing, it's much easier with a computer, because you can continue to gain space after the basic layout is determined. You can try to squeeze an extra bar into a system here and there, which you can't do with a predetermined layout. This is perhaps why Score settings (at least those I've seen) are generally looser than Finale settings.

I think one sees just as many if not more tight computer settings than loose ones.

Well, maybe. I don't know the reason. I just know that almost any time I open up a book of pop songs the spacing seems horribly loose compared to opera and classical that I'm accustomed to. Maybe it's just a question of what you're used to.

mdl