At 12:54 PM 11/9/06 -0500, Andrew Stiller wrote:
>I feel an increasing need to digitally back up key parts of my
>extensive LP collection. Can anyone suggest a cheap way to get these
>analog sounds into my computer &/or directly onto a CD?

If you already have a computer with a reasonable stereo input sound card, a
turntable, and amp with phono preamp, you have the basics. You can feed the
line output of the preamp to the sound card, record signal into freeware
like Audacity, and burn the resulting file using whatever software was
bundled with your CD burner. Assuming you already have the basics, that's
the "free" method.

You can also check out the master of cheap stuff, Drew Kaplan:
  http://www.dak.com/Reviews/2020Story.cfm

For less than cheap, you can get a digital turntable (such as a Stanton), a
soundcard with digital input, then clean up the pops & clicks & rumble with
software such as Adobe Audition, and from there create a nicely cued CDs.
The investment is $500-$750, higher if you get a really nice cartridge for
the turntable. The advantage is that you can record the LPs at high
sampling rates & bit depth, and have data files to save for future better
cleanups.

Dennis