On 10 Nov 2006 at 9:49, Phil Daley wrote:

> At 11/10/2006 09:33 AM, ThomaStudios wrote:
>
>  >I have experienced the same as Johannes.  I have several, out of
>  >hundreds, of CD-Rs with backup files for clients.  I can recall at
>  >least a half dozen times where I've gone back to retrieve something,
>  >and the disc wound NOT mount or would not read the files.  Damn,
>  >floppies were more reliable in their day! > >Now, all my backups go
>  to an external drive and a tape backup.  So >far, no failures with
>  the tapes, knock on wood.
>
> I had (and have) a lot of floppy problems  You can create them and
> read them on the same machine, but a different machine says they are
> unformatted.

I used to use floppies to carry work to clients and back, and I never
had a floppy failure. And this was for disks that were really being
churned in terms of being repeatedly written to. Of course, I'd
always do a scandisk before copying data to the floppy (so I wouldn't
end up arriving at a client with a bad disk), and that would repair
any bad sectors or mark them unusable. But I never found floppies to
be the least bit unreliable.

> I wonder if Macs are less reliable at reading CDs than Windows?

On what basis would you wonder such a thing? The OS could not
possibly have anyting to do with it -- it's entirely an issue of the
media and the hardware that writes to it.