Hamilton Greg wrote:

My apologies if this has been covered before. if it has and someone can remember when, I'd be happy to search the user list archives.
No apology needed there is a short list of recurring topic in the list, and this one was about due to come up again.

I recently had a client ask for the Finale files for many of his chamber works I had prepared. It's typically not my policy to release the original files. I'm wondering what other professional copyist/engravers are doing when faced with the same dilemma?
If I were in your place, depending upon what your relationship is with the client, my first step would be to get together over your beverage of choice, and ask him why he wants your Finale files. And I may or may not choose to decide whether the reasons he gives are the real ones or not, but it's certainly reasonable and proper to enquire as his reasons for wanting the files. If the client merely wants to know how certain things were accomplished, I'd provide him (at modest cost) a "dog and pony show", taking selected files to his place on a laptop. If he is concerned about getting copies of the source data files in the event something happens to me, I'd advise him that the copies of your files part of your will, to be bequeathed to him so that he will be able to maintain access to the files after my demise. If he's concerned about the physical security, for example whether a catastrophic event at my workplace would destroy all of my Finale Files, I'd take proof duplicates are stored in secure, off-site locations. If he does not provide a reason which satisfies me, I would explain that the Finale files are subject to a separate copyright from the music, and that I am unwilling to sell my copyright at this time, but might consider selling a minority interest in the copyright, and a right of first refusal on the balance in consideration for some amount. Now, what I have done with my clients, is to agree in the contract that the client or his agent or assigns holds contract in the music composition, but that I hold sole copyright in the file, and while I have routinely given him a file of completed works, the agreement clearly states that these files are provided under a non-transferable license, and may not be sold, loaned, or otherwise transferred to anyone else without my sole written permission. In consideration for providing the client a copy of the finale file, I retain permission to use at my discretion all or any part of the engraving work I have done in any composition to which he has access to the Finale file, for the sole purpose sole purpose of securing work from others.

I see a possibility here that perhaps your client has located a publisher, who is wanting the files. If that is the case, I'd agree to lease the copyright to the publisher for a fixed term, probably five or ten years, with provisions for extending the lease.

ns