dhbailey wrote:
This is an interesting copyright question -- since the Finale file is simply one more representation of the music which the client holds the copyright in, I'm surprised he would assign you a copyright in the file, since you can't do anything with it as it represents his copyrighted work, just as he can't do anything with the finale file he has granted you copyright in.

Keep in mind that this is the basis upon which I work, and I negotiate these things in advance, so I'm not quite in the same position as the original poster. The client agreed in advance that the Finale file was separately copyrightable, and that I own the copyright to the Finale file.

ns