From: Noel Stoutenburg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 18:29:24 -0600
To: <finale@shsu.edu>
Subject: Re: [Finale] Clients Requesting Finale Files

dhbailey wrote:
This is an interesting copyright question -- since the Finale file is
simply one more representation of the music which the client holds the
copyright in, I'm surprised he would assign you a copyright in the
file, since you can't do anything with it as it represents his
copyrighted work, just as he can't do anything with the finale file he
has granted you copyright in.
Keep in mind that this is the basis upon which I work, and I negotiate
these things in advance, so I'm not quite in the same position as the
original poster.  The client agreed in advance that the Finale file was
separately copyrightable, and that I own the copyright to the Finale file.

ns

David H. Bailey