At 05:30 PM 12/1/06 -0500, Andrew Stiller wrote:
For self-publishing, you mostly want to get the attention of the two
big distributors, Theodore Front Musical Literature and J. W. Pepper
and Son.

There's music on Amazon. Do you think ultimately it's more viable than the old-school distributors? I have never received any sort of mailing (virtual or physical) from any music publisher or distributor except Oxford, but I
get lots of both from book and CD distributors.

Dennis

The stuff may be there at Amazon, but try and find it! There's no way to browse printed music there (at least none that I've been able to find, or that they publicize in any way), but just that infernal books/music dichotomy that leaves no room for printed music. Someday that may change, and when that happens you'll be right--but not until.

I have in fact marketed a few of my publications at Amazon, but was not impressed with the results and let the relationship lapse.

Front and Pepper, it is true, do not market themselves to individuals. Their catalogs (of which there are many, and continuously updated) go out mostly to libraries, but that is hardly an insignificant market, especially if one is self-publishing.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://home.netcom.com/~kallisti/