On 6 Dec 2006 at 10:56, dhbailey wrote:

> As to whether the absolutist nature of current copyright law is more
> beneficial to society or not, that is clearly a debatable issue --
> stronger copyright protections give more individuals the incentive to
> create, making the culture richer, yet weaker protections allow more
> members of the society to do more with others' creative content, which
> also makes the culture richer.

Patent law, at least in the US, is even more of a mess than copyright
law, seems to me, especially when it comes to computer software. I
wouldn't be surprised if there were not a move by the pharmaceutical
industry to extend the length of patents, the way copyrights have
been extended at the behest of the media giants like Disney.

It's questionable whether the current patent system in the US is of
is of greater benefit or cost to society. The pharmaceutical industry
is the poster child for this argument, where the industry claims
patents are essential to recoup speculative research costs, while
that raises the costs of the drugs so high that people without good
prescription drug insurance plans can't afford them, all the while
when the drug manufacturing is spending 100s of millions on marketing
the patented drug.

It's a mess, a terrible mess, and makes the copyright problems look
minor by comparison, seems to me.