Before I ask this question, I just wanted to say I was deeply moved by
Karen's post about Bill whom I never had a chance to know.

Anyway, I am in a situation that I have to make old HP Vectra P450MHz/
512MB/USB1.0 work with Plextor PX-740UF to have DVD movie playback.  It
didn't come with DVD movie viewer so I downloaded VLC.  It terribly
stutters, both video and audio.  Totally unusable.

Question 1: Do you think buying USB2.0 PCI would solve this problem?  Do
I need to purchase WinDVD?  Any other alternative for DVD movie player?

Question 2: Having my wife's Thinkpad dead, I need to buy her a new one
sometime soon.  She likes new HP with huge display and more importantly
10 keypad, which is a nice feature.  They are quite expensive for what I
can afford.  I have been away from PC market too long and I don't know
who is running well these days after my favorite IBM is gone.  Is
Toshiba still doing well?  I tried Sony in a store and I still don't
like it.  HP notebook is something I never considered a few years ago.
Are they good?  I am looking for advise from someone who has experiences
with different kinds of notebook PCs.

Thanks in advance.

--

- Hiro

Hiroaki Honshuku, A-NO-NE Music, Boston, MA
<http://a-no-ne.com> <http://anonemusic.com>