Christopher Smith wrote:

On Dec 31, 2006, at 1:20 AM, Carl Dershem wrote:

I played a big band rehearsal a few months back where the leader had brought in some new music that was written by a neighbor. The music was brought in as a favor, and the composer was completely self-trained, and had bought Finale as a help, and had used the "Rhythm section generator" to create much of the rhythm section parts (and much of the harmonization in the horn sections, or at least it souded like it to me). The drum parts were, to say the least, vastly overwritten.

The composer had obviously misunderstood the purpose of the Rhythm Section Generator plugin. The plugin is supposed to take a normally- written part (with slashes, chord symbols and rhythmic cues) and "realize" it in a way that a player might, FOR PLAYBACK PURPOSES. You aren't supposed to hand these parts to a player.

Just tell your leader's neighbour to write the slashes and plenty of cues (both rhythmic and English), and keep the darned plugin- generated parts at home.

Once we all stopped laughing, that's pretty much what we said. The leader was happy that he'd done his bit for society, let the neighbor know what had worked and what didn't, and we cleared our collective musical palates with some new Chris Walden charts.

cd
--
http://www.livejournal.com/users/dershem/#
http://members.cox.net/dershem