Carl Dershem wrote:
A-NO-NE Music wrote:

Matthew Hindson fastmail acct / 2006/12/31 / 06:22 PM wrote:

Has anyone used it?  Opinions?

Just like the Latin Perc plug-in, this isn't the way I write the drum/
perc pert for my musicians to read.  The notation style differences
aside, writing drum/perc parts can not be too specific if you want to
take the advantage of the groove that the musician you hired brings into
the music.

I played a big band rehearsal a few months back where the leader had brought in some new music that was written by a neighbor. The music was brought in as a favor, and the composer was completely self-trained, and had bought Finale as a help, and had used the "Rhythm section generator" to create much of the rhythm section parts (and much of the harmonization in the horn sections, or at least it souded like it to me). The drum parts were, to say the least, vastly overwritten.

The drummer in that band (one of the best in Southern California) took one look at the drum parts and began to giggle uncontrollably. The leader didn't notice, as he was passing ot the rest of the parts - I only noticed as I was playing second trombone that night, and know him WAY too well - but the humor of the situation was irresistable.

When the leader counted the first tune off, the drummer... how to say this diplomatically? Went into a spasm, and tried to play the part as a drum part is to be played, while leaving in the notes as written.

It was very busy, and very loud.

We settled on "Play a samba".

Anyway, drum parts are a black art, but should be hints of what needs to be played - not beat-for-beat maps.

cd

Hi Carl:

Great story. Who was in the band?
Reply privately unless you want everyone else to know.

Happy New Year to All,

Bob Florence