Joshua Rifkin's arguments of "one-on-a part" Bach choruses were long ago shown to be without merit. Bach's church choir, as a rule, numbered 12, and he regularly nagged unsuccessfully for it to be enlarged to 16. Rifkin based his argument on the existence of single choir copies. There were generally a solo copy (with the choir part included) and a choir part for each voice, and each was written large enough for two singers to read, which would allow for a choir as large as 16. Rifkin got some attention with his project, and got the musical world thinking about smaller choirs, perhaps, but the one-on-a part B Minor Mass is just silly.

Raymond Horton