On 17.01.2007 David W. Fenton wrote:
Robert Marshall was respondent to Rifkin's original article, and he's no slouch as a Bach expert. But his case did not come close to knocking over Rifkin's argument as it was presented, as it involved almost as much hand waving as Rifkin's own. Since then, quite a bit of work has been done on the subject, but I don't know that any of it has settled the issue in favor of one or the other.

Well, actually, the discussion went on in Early Music between Joshua and Ton Koopman (I believe this was in the year 2000). Eventually they called in Andrew Parrot as the unbiased mediator, who then ended up writing a book which basically completely supports Joshua's view. The whole thing is as settled as it can be. There will always be those who don't believe the evidence, but it is nonetheless there.

Johannes
--
http://www.musikmanufaktur.com
http://www.camerata-berolinensis.de