On 17 Jan 2007 at 14:52, Johannes Gebauer wrote:

> On 17.01.2007 David W. Fenton wrote:
> > But how's your intonation in the fugues?  :)
>
> Actually, when I did a life broadcast of the D minor (no fugue but the
> Ciaccona) this was one of the points I talked about in the interview
> afterwards.

A friend of mine is a violinist and has a recording of them out and
performs them regularly. He's a modern violinist, but he played
extensively with Laurette Goldberg (founder of Philharmonia Baroque)
when he lived in San Francisco, and she taught him a lot about
Baroque dance styles, and he's very much historically aware in his
performances. He's told me that whenever he played Bach in
competitions the judges always said they loved his playing, but
marked him down for it because it was "non-traditional."

Very annoying.

> Not modern, if I may say so.

Well, I should hope not!