On 1/18/07, Andrew Stiller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Some 30 years ago, Edward Tarr discovered that the intonation problems
those holes were designed to fix came about because modern copies of
Bq. trps. were too perfectly made. If you hand-hammer the instrument
into shape, (as was done historically) it is just enough out of whack
acoustically that it becomes possible to lip the problem notes into
tune w.o the holes.

Makes sense!

The conductor in the recording said that the brass will have a very
raw, rough sound, but to my ears-- I enjoyed it. I can see how
composers during the early Baroque were hestitant to include horns on
a regular basis, given the "edgey" sound.

Thanks,
Kim Patrick Clow