On 5 Feb 2007 at 15:50, Darcy James Argue wrote:

> Is this a Windows thing? On Macs, if your web browser is set to use
> QuickTime, playback of an MP3 file automatically begins as soon as
> QuickTime thinks it can complete the file without interruption. In
> other words, *every* MP3 you click on in a web browser is streaming
> (by default). If you want to download the file, you have to use a
> contextual menu (i.e., "Save to disk.")

Yes, that's exactly how it "works" on Windows, as well (assuming
you're using the QuickTime plugin to play MP3s files, which I do).

But on a practical basis, it just doesn't work. If I really want to
hear an MP3, I pause the playback, let it download, and then play.
The reason is exactly as David Bailey said: dialup is not fast enough
to keep up with the playback, and the buffer is very quickly
exhausted.

My point stands: MP3s are not practical for playback on dialup
without download or server-side streaming (which delivers just enough
to keep up with the bandwidth available, and which therefore buffers
more than QuickTime does from a straight download).

And that's not even mentioning those who *don't* use the QT plugin
for playing MP3s. They may have it worse. They may have it better. I
don't know.