There's a lot of historical truth in this, Jef, from what I understand. I still think Vern has a valid point.

sure, not disputed, i agree with the general comments (i have some jazz friends and have heard - and seen - some of the stories) but dispute the **nature** of one comment he made. i'm just saying the problem is not unique to modern day: beethoven walked out of a salon gathering once refusing to "play for such swine" because of the chatter going on amongst some of those present, and he increasingly advocated proper concentration and refused to perform in what he considered to be adverse conditions. if this was happening in the "cultured" confines of the nobility who increasingly held and insisted upon values of "serious", grand music, we can only imagine to what extent reports of the goings-on in the "lower" venues underestimate the real situation. i'm sure the more public venues at that time were just as bad as the jazz gigs a friend has told me about. (eg. some guy with massive cigar right next to him, him blowing harder to try to get the guy to shut up, the guy talking louder so he could hear himself talking...)

--

shirling & neueweise ... new music publishers
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] :.../ http://newmusicnotation.com